It’s Mexican night and the feelings right oh yes it’s Mexican night, oh what a night! Aw Atomic Kitten, what a classic.
- 4 big potatoes (sweet potatoes will work too)
- 1/2 packet of fajita seasoning (or make your own with garlic & onion & chilli powder, oregano, paprika, cumin)
- 1 tin black beans, drained (kidney or black eye beans would be great too)
- 1 packet of passata (500g)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 jar of jalapeños (in water or brine)
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 big tomatoes
- handful of fresh coriander
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- juice 1/2 lemon
- some romaine lettuce leaves (to garnish the plate all fancy)
First pre-heat oven to 200°c and line a baking tray.
Cut up the potatoes into thick chips or wedges or in the shape of little sombreros. Dampen them under the tap and spread out on the tray. Sprinkle with the fajita spice and give them a little shimmy to spread out the spice. Ooh yea.
Stick in the oven for 40 minutes.
In a little saucepan sauté the red onion and garlic in a little water until softened, about 5 minutes. Keep adding water little by little as it cooks away. Then add in the passata, tomato paste, jalapeños and beans. Let this simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Make a little salsa on the side because you only live one. Chop up the tomatoes into small chunks and mix them in a bowl with chopped coriander, lime juice and a pinch of salt. ¡Ay, caramba!
For the tahini cheese, stir together the tahini, yeast, mustard, turmeric and lemon juice. Add a tbsp of hot water to help mix it into a ketchup-like consistency. Add more water if needed but don’t let it get too watery!
Now you just need to assemble!
Come together, right now
First cover your plate in big lettuce leaves, spinach would work too, then add a layer of potatoes, spoon the spicy beans on these then delicately pour on the “cheese”. Scoop some salsa onto the side and you’re done!
Eat with a lime topped tequila beer while shouting Olé! aggressively at people out your window.